Monday, March 15, 2010

A Touching Passage...

As I was reading this afternoon, I came across this paragraph from "In My Father's House: A Vision for Daughters", a book which I highly recommend. I had to share it with you all. I hope you benefit from it.


"The fountain of all sympathy is Jesus our Lord. We may go to Him, as to an inexhaustible well, ever drawing, never knowing disappointment, but always receiving refreshment and health. Too often we keep on depending on ourselves, on our own shallow streams, which, unfed by celestial sources soon run dry. Surely part of the daily prayer should be that we may remain large enough and loving enough to care for objects outside of ourselves, that we may keep the freshness of the child-heart and its springing enthusiasm over small pleasures, and new discoveries; that we may live in other lives not exclusively in our own."


"Art thou weary, art thou languid,
Art thou sore distrest?
"Come to Me," saith One, "and coming
Be at rest."
Hath He marks to lead me to Him
If He be my guide?
"In His feet and hands are wound-prints
And His side."
Is there diadem, as monarch
That His brow adorns?
"Yea, a crown, in very surety,
But of thorns."
If I find Him, if I follow
What His guerdin here?
"Many a sorrow,, many a labor,
Many a tear."
If I still hold closely to Him
What hath He at last?
"Sorrow vanquished, labor ended,
Jordon past."
If I sak Him to reveive me
Will He say me nay?
"Not till earth and not till heaven
Pass away."
Finding, following, keeping, struggling,
Is He sure to bless?
Saints, apostles, prophets, martyrs,
Awnser, "Yes."


If anyone knows who wrote this poem, please let me know. I think it might be Ruskin. If anyone can confirm this, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment